Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

#SLCC17: A chat with BB-8 puppeteer Brian Herring


When Salt Lake Comic Con 2017 kicked off this past weekend, I had the opportunity to do a couple mini interviews during the press conference on Thursday morning. The first guest I spoke with was Brian Herring, who is one of the most talented puppeteers in the entire world. Instead of starting this post by running through his filmography, I'll let the man speak for himself:

Signs of the Times: Hello, my name is Aaron.

Brian Herring: “Hello, Aaron.”

SotT: Nice to meet you. I just wanted to ask you a few questions. First of all, have you ever been to Utah before?

BH: “No.”

SotT: No? First time. Ok. Any impressions so far?

BH: “I have seen the outside for about an hour, so, at this point, not huge amounts of impressions. The mountains are lovely – lovely view. I’m sure it’s going to be great.”

SotT: Great. Well, we’re happy to have you hear.

BH: “Thank you very much.”

SotT: I was just wondering if you could talk to me about your career a little bit. Was there anything you’ve worked on – anything, like a project or anything, that was memorable or made a big impression on you?

BH: “I’ve been a puppeteer for about 25 years. I became a puppeteer completely by accident. I was a little economic with the truth in an audition for a TV show in the UK in the early ‘90s and, since then, I’ve worked for the Jim Henson Company and I’ve done a lot of stuff on UK TV, I have worked in movies and in film and … I’ve been all over the place, really. I did a little film a couple of years ago called ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens.’”

SotT: I… think I’ve heard of it.

BH: “Yeah… It found an audience. So, I mean, to do that – because I was seven in ’77 – I was that kid. So, to be involved with that, even slightly, was a big deal, but to end up… I was the puppeteer consultant for the whole movie, and then I wound up as BB-8 – the lead form for BB-8 – so that was just an amazing experience. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.”


SotT: All right. And you’re currently working on the future Star Wars movies, as well?

BH: “Yes. Yeah.”

SotT: Awesome.

BH: “We’re right in the middle of that, so that’s a lot of fun.”

SotT: All right. Did you have a favorite Star Wars character growing up?

BH: “Chewie. Chewie. Yeah, Chewbacca. So to get to work alongside him was quite a thrill.”

SotT: That’s really cool. Ok. Perfect. Is there anything that you would recommend – like a TV show or a movie that you’re currently watching – that you’d recommend?

BH: “I’m currently really enjoying the third series of ‘Gotham.’ I’m really enjoying that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment