Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Running Blog: My 'Detroit: Become Human' Experience - Entry Two


ENTRY TWO


This is a continuation from my previous post, "Running Blog: My 'Detroit: Become Human' Experience." MAJOR SPOILERS for the Playstation 4 game to follow.



A couple observations since the last post:
  • I noticed a few chapters back that I am no longer receiving missions for Kara. The home screen A.I. (who once asked, "Are we friends?" - I said "Yes," mostly out of fear...) previously mentioned that I let Kara and Alice die, and it looks like this truly may have been the case, although not explicitly shown on-screen.
  • Markus' relationships with the Jericho Squad have developed somewhat. Simon may or may not still be alive up on that rooftop (he's probably dead), Josh distrusts him and his relationship with North has fluctuated between neutrality and actual friendship. Markus is currently "respected" in the Jericho community.
  • Connor has convinced Lt. Hank Anderson to become a "friend," according to notifications that occasionally pop up on the screen.

Chapter 19: Public Enemy - Connor

Overview: Connor begins in the Zen Garden, where he meets with Amanda. (I attempted to cut across the grass but was unable to do so.) Connor hops in a row boat with Amanda, who we still know next-to-nothing about, and I chose to talk to her about my investigation at the Eden Club. Amanda became disappointed in Connor several times, based on my decisions, even to the point of "distrust." I vowed that I would succeed in the mission, and Amanda warned Connor that he must hurry, for something serious is starting to happen.

The second portion of this chapter takes Connor and Anderson back to Stratford Tower, the scene of Markus' hijacked news broadcast. Connor is allowed to investigate the scene of the crime, analyzing many of the focal points of Chapter 18. A brief clip of Markus' broadcast is seen, at one point, and Anderson wonders if Markus is "RA9." Connor bumps into the cop that Previous Model Connor saved during Chapter 1. New Model Connor fails to recognize the cop, who thanks him anyway for saving his life. Connor realizes that Markus and the Squad did not force entry to the room, so somebody wasn't doing their job by monitoring the security cameras. Connor interrogates three android employees who were there at the time of the break-in to see if any of them are deviant. He also investigates the rooftop, where he finds Simon, barricaded inside a large metal container. Simon breaks out and shoots Connor in the shoulder. Connor and Anderson take cover and Connor is forced to choose whether to charge at Simon or remain hidden...

Choices: This was one of the first times where I really got to notice that some of my past decisions had come back into play...
  • *Because Markus and the Jericho Squad shot and killed three Stratford employees in Chapter 18, I was able to analyze their dead bodies at the crime scene.
  • *Because Previous Model Connor saved the rooftop cop in Chapter 1, the cop thanked Connor for saving him. However, Connor did not recognize him.
  • Was unable to identify a deviant android during the interrogation scene in the broadcast floor's kitchen.
  • Chose to remain behind cover and allowed the SWAT team to destroy Simon.*
  • Anderson and Connor survived the rooftop shootout unscathed.
Breakdown: It was pretty wild to be investigating "my own" crime scene. I was a little disappointed that Connor has adopted a more harsh approach than I had hoped for. I is of note that, while reviewing the portion of Markus' video message, I did identify his name and that he previously belonged to Carl the Painter, but he automatically withheld that information from Anderson. Similarly, I was unable to control his reaction to the rooftop cop from Chapter 1 - I gasped when I realized who he was - and he was pretty rough on the three androids in the interrogation section. I like a gentler version of Connor, so I'm hoping to be able to control that a little more, moving forward. I would have liked to get more information out of Simon, or at least apprehend him alive, but once Connor took that first minor bullet, I knew I wanted to stay behind cover because I've already lost him once. I am hoping that Simon will amount to a very minimal loss, since I already know what truly happened with Markus. Right now, I want Connor to take Markus down. I think I'd like to keep escalating Markus as an evil character, but I want Connor to remain "good," for the most part, and to be able to catch or defeat Markus, in the end.



Chapter 20: Capitol Park - Markus

Overview: Markus is ready to send a message to the humans. He coordinates simultaneous take-overs of CyberLife stores (where androids are sold "as slaves" to humans) in the middle of the night. My path involved Markus and North, who has become a "companion," in terms of her opinion of Markus, scouting out one store and finding a way in. This revolved around Markus shutting down a security drone, disabling the store's burglar alarm and hijacking a city truck, which was ultimately used to crash through the storefront. Once inside, Markus activates all of the androids and sets them free. By example, he decides how his new android army will take over a downtown square called Captiol Park. My decisions led to Markus tagging park benches with graffiti, destroying android charging stations, overturning cars and lighting them ablaze (with North's encouragement), lighting a hotel on fire and planting a digital flag high atop the centralized gazebo. Police show up and slaughter many of the androids. The two officers are overtaken and the army demands that Markus make a powerful statement...

Choices:

  • As suggested by Underground contributor Austin, tagged city benches with graffiti.
    • Chose a raised fist as the army's logo and tagged it on several other benches.
    • Tagged the phrase "No Longer Your Slave" on another bench.
  • Overturned a car and accepted a Molotov cocktail from North.
  • Burned dumpsters and sent one through a hotel's front window.
  • 97% violent / 3% pacifist
  • Sent a strong, aggressive message.
  • Markus les a violent riot.
  • Killed the two cops.*
Breakdown: Many of my relationships changed during this chapter. As it stands right now, androids are hated by the public, Markus is admired by the Jericho community, North has become a "companion," Josh is resentful of Markus and Simon... well, Simon is still dead. I have taken a big step into pure evil by choosing to execute the cops, but that's the way it's got to be for the story to unfold the way I want it to. I am apparently in the vast minority of "Become Human" players with my choices this chapter; only 16% of players chose to kill the cops and fewer - 13% led a violent riot. Surprisingly, only 1% of players elected to burn the hotel. Whoopsie. The chapter ended with more news broadcasts, decrying Markus' act of terror.

Chapter 21: Meet Kamski - Connor

Overview: First of all, it turns out that one of the cops that I allowed Markus to execute was Anderson's buddy - I'd met him at the police station with Connor earlier - and he just became a father three months ago. Well freak! ... Anyway, Anderson got a line on the creator of CyberLife, a guy named Kamski. Can't remember his first name. Not important. Anderson and Connor show up to the guy's house for a little chat. While they waited in the front room, I saw a picture of Kamski with an African-American woman - Amanda, from the Zen Garden. It turns out they were schoolmates, and... what the? She has been dead for a year?? [Shooketh face] Once Kamski was ready to meet, Anderson and Connor headed into his pool room. Eventually, he gets out and begins to ask Connor questions about deviants. He wants to find out if Connor, himself, is a deviant. He asks whose side Connor is on (I responded neutrally both times he asked me), then decides to put Connor to the test. He summons one of his attractive female androids and commands Connor to murder it. The conditions are these: if Connor kills the robot, Kamski will spill the beans about everything he knows. If Connor chooses not to shoot, they're out of luck - and Kamski will know that Connor is at least somewhat deviant. Anderson has had enough and starts to leave, but Kamski wants Connor to choose for himself...

Choices: Whose side is Connor on? Will he remain true to his programming and betray his own kind? Or will he show signs of deviance and stand up to his makers?

  • *Because Markus killed the cops in Capitol Park, Anderson becomes saddened that his friend has died.
  • Spared the servant, Chloe. Anderson thought Connor made the right decision.
Breakdown: I reached out to Austin for this big decision, as well. I explained to him the consequences and we both decided that sparing the android was the best way to go. I've worked hard to repair Anderson and Connor's relationship, and I didn't want to do anything that would potentially mess that up.



Chapter 22: Freedom March - Markus

Overview: Markus starts the chapter high atop an abandoned building. He wanted some time alone. There was a piano there, which I decided to play. I am somewhat confident that he played the same song that I chose to play for Carl way back in Chapter 4, so that was a nice touch. North showed up but I was a little cold with her, which lowered her opinion of Markus. Together with Josh, the Jericho Squad showed up in the city, with Markus intent on converting more androids. After gathering a few of them, he had the street blocked off and began a "freedom march." As they walked together, Markus was able to recruit around 150 more androids. One cop attempted to stop the march, but the army advanced forward, chanting for equality and liberation. After several blocks, the SWAT team arrived, blocking the way and forcing Marcus to decide just how dedicated he is to this cause...

Choices: I was hoping for a hostile android takeover here. With 150 androids by my side, I thought it was possible, but I quickly found out that the army was severely outgunned and Markus might have to wait to fight another day...

  • Hid details about Markus' past life from North.
  • Was aggressive with an android owner when he resisted his robot's attempt to leave.
  • Ignored the officer who asked the march to stop.
  • Decided to disburse when threatened by the SWAT team.
  • Police opened fire anyway.
  • Ordered the army to get out of there as fast as possible.
  • Some androids escaped and Markus fled.
  • Lost confidence in North and the Jericho community.
Breakdown: First of all, this chapter was pretty cool. It would have been cooler if I had been going for a completely peaceful demonstration. The music that played as Markus beckoned more androids to join him was powerful. But once I realized that any attempt at violence would result in the massacre of most - if not all - of my army, I knew I had to cut my losses and run. After having lost all three main characters at some point earlier in the game, I'm hesitant to do anything that will put Connor or Markus in mortal peril, so to speak, until I'm ready for things to come to an end completely. I am hopeful that Markus will be able to go back to Jericho, regroup and mount a stronger assault in a few chapters.



Relationship recap:

  • Anderson and Connor: Friends
  • Connor's software instability: Somewhat heightened
  • Public opinion of androids: Hated
  • Jericho community opinion of Markus: Admired, but diminished after the Freedom March
  • Markus and North: Companion, but diminished after the Freedom March
  • Markus and Josh: Hostile
  • Home Screen A.I.: Constantly looks troubled. Upon quitting, she commented, "I think there's something wrong with my programming. Maybe I should reset."

The Home Screen A.I. just said, "You look tired today. I hope you're doing ok."

Yeah, I'm going to sleep now.


TO BE CONTINUED...

Keep reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment