Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2020

DC FanDome: Wonder Woman 1984 Panel

DC FanDome, the ambitious Comic Con-like, virtual convention for all things DC Comics, kicked off with a "Wonder Woman 1984" panel, featuring director Patty Jenkins, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal, and, of course, Wonder Woman herself, Gal Gadot.

In the brief 20-minute panel, Jenkins said they are still hoping for the movie to be released globally in theaters. "We're going to stick it out," she said. "We believe in putting it out in the cinema. I can't wait for the movie to come out - soon."

Throughout the panel, fans from around the world had a chance to ask questions about the upcoming film. The first question asked what it was like adapting the movie's costumes for the 1980s. "Diana always has great taste and always looks elegant," Jenkins commented. "Kristen and I had such a great time going back in our memory and remembering what a character would dress like [in that era]."

The panel included a few surprise cameos, like a question from tennis champion Venus Williams, who asked the cast who would win in a tennis match between Wonder Woman and Cheetah. Wiig said, "I think Cheetah would win because Wonder Woman would have a gold tennis racket and it would be too heavy, and I would be too fast." Gadot chimed in, "Let's agree to disagree."

A fan asked Chris Pine what it was like for his character to be a fish out of water in the '80s. "It was a good lesson for me as a human being to remind myself not to be so cool, not to be so over everything," Pine responded. "My job is to be in love with Gal, which is not a hard gig, and try to make her giggle."

Lynda Carter, the original Wonder Woman, made a cameo at the end of the panel, to the surprise of the cast. Gadot, particularly, was thrilled. "What a delightful surprise to have you here!" she exclaimed.

Wiig admitted that she was a huge fan of Carter's, growing up: "I'm so excited. I've never met you. I'm so excited to meet you. I was also Wonder Woman for Halloween when I was a girl."

Carter expressed her love of the first "Wonder Woman" film. "I've been a fan from Day One of Patty's," she said. "When my daughter saw Gal as Wonder Woman, she said, 'I finally get it. I finally understand why everyone idolizes you. I finally get what Wonder Woman means to everyone.' That's my daughter. Thank you, Gal. Thank you, Patty."

Jenkins talked about her modern take on the classic hero: "We're not here to reinvent Wonder Woman. We just hope to take the torch and pass it forward. Being able to know that someone as important as [Carter's] daughter acknowledged that we could be having that affect on her is a huge accomplishment." 

What would a "Wonder Woman" panel be without addressing the monumental impact that the character has had on girls and women? "We've seen so many male superheroes but we haven't seen enough female superheroes," Gadot said. "For girls, once they see it, they believe it. For girls to see these movies ... is so important. It's so empowering."

DC also unveiled the second official trailer for the upcoming movie, which gave a bit more of the spotlight to Kristen Wiig's character, showed Diana in action, and introduced Steve to military radar, fanny packs and parachute pants. We also got our first glimpse of Wiig's transformation to Cheetah, furry, tail-clad and ferocious, in battle against the golden-armored goddess of Themyscira. Check out the trailer below:



Are you ready for "Wonder Woman 1984"? Have you been keeping up with DC FanDome? Let us know in the comments below, find me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter (here and here).

No comments:

Post a Comment