Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

FanX 21: LEGO Master Zack Macasaet interview


So there I was, minding my own business, making my way across the vendor floor at FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention 2021, in search of  pop culture LEGOs. I headed back to a booth I'd visited earlier in the day. Then, to my great surprise, just 24 hours after having finished "LEGO Masters" Season 2, I noticed several contestants from the TV show! I immediately recognized Caleb Schilling, and soon thereafter spotted several other familiar faces. This, honestly, was one of the most pleasant surprises of the entire weekend for me. I'm a reality TV junkie, and bumping into some people that I had literally just barely watched on Hulu got me really excited.

I strolled on over and began chatting with Zack Macasaet - a finalist from his season, who made it all the way to the end with his brother, Wayne. Here's some of what we discussed:


Signs of the Times: All right, so… Surprise! The LEGO Masters are here! First of all, tell me about the show. What was it like being on the show?


Zack Macasaet: It was a lot of pressure, trying to build under the clock. Coming in, there was a lot of uncertainty, whether or not were even going to be on the show! And then we didn’t even know if we were going to get knocked out in the first round or not. So me and my brother came out, flying like dragons…


SotT: That’s right!


ZM: And by the end of it, we pulled ourselves through to the finale! I don’t want to spoil it for anybody, but… Gotta watch the finale!


SotT: Did you have a build that was your favorite, out of the whole competition?


ZM: A build that was my favorite? The dragons. My brother’s would be the whale. People liked the hat, the pigs were awesome, the castle build at the end – near the end, where we’re stretching out six feet… a lot of great, awesome stuff.


SotT: That’s good. That’s good. What advice would you give to people who like LEGOs but want to take it, maybe, to the next level?


ZM: Oh, ok… My brother would say, “Build what you want.” That’s what my brother would say. For me, I’d say it’s all about trial and error. You just keep collecting your LEGO bricks, you put it together and come up with new things. And every idea is a good idea.


SotT: Cool. Cool, all right. Have you been to Utah before?


ZM: First time!


SotT: First time? All right! Quick trip for you, though.


ZM: Yeah, quick trip for me. I’m only here for… [I’ve been here] about three days. I was here for the finale, watching it with all the other LEGO Masters over here – we even have another finalist over here: Caleb. So you’ve got to get an interview with him, too.


SotT: Yeah, I’ve got to go talk to him, too!


ZM: Oh, yeah!


Update: I talked to Caleb, too, and a few others, as well, but didn't have time to do any more interviews.

Check out Zack's YouTube channel by clicking here.






No comments:

Post a Comment