Pages

Monday, October 2, 2023

FanX 2023: John Rhys-Davies recalls working with the Tabernacle Choir


One of the true unexpected delights of FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention 2023 was the opportunity to interview acclaimed actor John Rhys-Davies, who is best known for his roles in Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones. He made himself available to speak to the media before the convention opened for its first day on September 21 and couldn't have been kinder to us. He even offered to take selfies with us when we were done chatting.

Because FanX took place in the midst of the SAG-AFTRA strike, we were not permitted to ask any of the actors about their work - past, present or future - which meant we couldn't ask him about Gimli or Sala or anything else he'd done in Hollywood, and we had to get a little creative with our questions.

One thing that was not off limits, however, was Rhys-Davies' experience performing with the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square; he was a guest for the choir's Christmas concert in 2013. When we asked him to recall his time spent with the choir, he had some nice things to say.

Well, I knew of the Tabernacle Choir, really, from very early on. I’m a Welshman, and I spent time in a little village in Wales when my parents were out in Africa. The one choir that everyone knew of and admired was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

I did the Christmas show a number of years back. I expected to be impressed by the musicianship, and Mack [Wilberg] is […] probably the greatest choral authority in the world, I think, and I love him immensely and admire him immensely. The choir is superb – the musicianship, the range of their musical interests is enormous – and, as I’m a classical music fan, obviously, it was a match made in heaven, as far as I was concerned. 

But the welcome you get… I will be staying on for the service ["Music and the Spoken Word"] on Sunday [September 24], and I had the great privilege of attending the 95th birthday of your prophet, who stood up and made one of the most moving and articulate speeches that I think I’ve ever heard. Wonderful man. 

To an outsider, on first coming in, you’re a rather strange community, but the more I come, the more I see the real strengths of the community. The measure of friendliness to strangers is really unmatched. You’re a warm, welcoming, intelligent, rational, committed community, and I love it here.


Social media posts by some in attendance at "Music and the Spoken Word" can confirm that Rhys-Davies and fellow LOTR alum Andy Serkis were present to hear the Tabernacle Choir perform that Sunday, following the convention. So hey, how about that? Pretty cool.

For more FanX content, you know where to keep it.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment