Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Looking for some hidden treasure? Netflix marks the spot.

I have a problem. It only happens in the summer starting around May and ending sometime in August/September. It’s called television withdrawal. As soon as my favorite shows start ending their seasons, I’m faced with one question. The question that will haunt me for the entire summer: What do I watch now? For many years, there was no answer. My summer nights were filled with movie watching and reruns.  Then along came Netflix and the question was answered.

In the past few years, Netflix has been building their streaming library and I for one am continually grateful that they have. Now I have a vast number of movies and television shows at just the click of a button. But there still remains one problem. How do you search through the vast library to find something that is actually good? Let me help you with that. Here are five shows that I recently discovered that deserve your attention.

5. The Intouchables


If you’re not afraid to read subtitles, then give this movie a try. The Intouchables tells the true story of a rich quadriplegic man who hires an ex-con to be his caretaker. As the ex-con learns to care for this man with whom he has nothing in common, a friendship develops that makes them inseparable. Fully of witty humor and heart-warming moments, this is a great feel good movie.

4. Much Ado About Nothing


If you’re like me, you’ve been brought up on Shakespeare’s plays. And, if you are also like me, you love them but have a hard time sitting through them. This movie is your answer. Seriously you can’t go wrong with a William Shakespeare play directed by Joss Whedon. This movie feels like a bunch of friends got together one day and decided to make a movie. Ironically, that is exactly what happened. This movie was filmed in about 12 hours at Joss’ house. The actors completely succeed in bringing this play to life.

3. Crossing Lines


I have a confession. I love crime dramas. I also love people with accents. This discovery was a match made in heaven for me. The premise of this show is a group of detectives from various law enforcement agencies around the world gather together and solve crimes that cross international borders. This is a fun and interesting new take on the crime drama genre. The only downfall is that only the first season is available on Netflix right now. Oh well, at least there is something to look forward to.

2. Royal Pains



I know that everyone loves a good medical drama, but sometimes you just need something a little lighthearted. This show is a great compromise. The story focuses on an up-and-coming ER doctor who is fired from his job in the big city. His last minute trip to the Hampton's becomes a permanent stay when he becomes a Concierge Doctor to the rich and famous. Hilarity ensues.

1. Doctor Who


Could there be any other show as my top pick? This may not seem like hidden treasure, but it was for me. Let me just tell you that when I first watched Doctor Who I thought it was the weirdest show I had ever seen. But, once I got past the first couple episodes I was hooked. I mean what could be better than a two-hearted alien who travels through time and space in his blue police box shaped ship (aka the TARDIS) and takes human companions along for the ride. This is a thrilling ride for all ages.

There you go. My five top picks. What about you? Do you have any great new discoveries on Netflix? If so, let me know in the comments so I can check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment