Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Con to End All Cons


As a nerd have you every asked yourself the following questions? Are there other nerds out there who have my likes? Is there a place where all nerds could come together? I’m here to tell you that there is in fact a place. A place so coveted tickets are like gold. Yes, I’m talking about the nerd Mecca, San Diego Comic Con (SDCC). Now if you’ve ever experienced a con, you have been exposed to a mere fraction of what SDCC is like. If you don’t like crowds of screaming fanatics, you best stay away because SDCC is not for the feint of heart.

Having been two times I can tell you that every nerd MUST experience the awesomeness that is SDCC. However, there is a right way to do SDCC and there is a wrong way. In this post I will offer a few tips to make the most out of your SDCC experience (because believe me after this post you will be making plans for next year).

1. Be prepared to spend most of your money on a hotel room

Location is key. My first time, I spent an hour commuting round trip from my hotel. That is a precious hour I could have used for something else, like waiting in line. My second time, I booked a hotel in the Gaslamp district. My commute consisted of a ten-minute walk, which was perfect.  After a full day of geeking out, you will be glad you paid the extra money for a close hotel.

2. Don’t expect to get any sleep


If you want to see the good panels, you must be in line at 2am to have a hope of getting in. I got in line for a panel that early and I almost didn’t make it. Bring a comfy chair you don’t mind sitting in because you will spend a lot of time in line.

3. Bring your own food

Once you get into a panel room, you can stay there as long as you like, but once you leave the room you have to wait in line all over again. At this point, you may have been awake for 8 hours and can feel the hunger taking over. SDCC does sell food, but it is overpriced and not very good. Bringing your own food ensures that you will be well fed and happy the duration of your day.

4. Bring a good camera

Cons are the perfect place for people watching. You really never know what you are going to experience and you may want to remember that moment forever, or not as the case may be. Have a camera handy for pictures of your favorite actor, or just some great cosplaying.


5. Make friends in line

This is one of the best parts of SDCC or any con. You will spend a great deal of time in line, so it’s great to start a conversation with the people around you. Don’t worry, you are both at a con already so you have something in common.  I have met the nicest people while waiting in line. Making friends will make the wait seem much shorter.

6. Remember, you won’t be able to see it all

SDCC is HUGE! No one can cover everything. Make a plan A and a plan B before you go. I have found this to be extremely helpful. A good plan can make SDCC a once in a lifetime experience. A bad plan could leave you feeling disappointed. Keep in mind that you may not get to see everything, but you will have a great time trying.

And that my fellow nerds are a few quick tips on how to experience a great SDCC. Above all, when you go to any con just remember to HAVE FUN. Con’s are a great way for people with similar interests to come together and have a good time. So, if this has wet your appetite to go to SDCC let me know. I’d love to meet up with you next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment