Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2018

#FanX18: Interview with WWE's Victoria


Professional wrestling legend Lisa Marie Varon, best known as "Victoria," was a cornerstones of the women's division in the WWE's "Ruthless Aggression" era during her nine-year stint with the company (2000-2009). She won the women's championship twice after her call-up to the main roster in 2002. I caught up with Victoria at FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention 2018 and was able to ask her a few questions about her career.

Signs of the Times: Hello, Victoria. How are you doing?

Victoria: “I’m doing great. Thank you so much.”

SotT: Welcome to Salt Lake City.

V: “Thank you. It’s great to be here.”

SotT: Have you been here before?

V: “I have, you know, in my wrestling career. There’s not a place I think I haven’t been. I’m exaggerating. But it’s always a great city. This is a huge convention! I live in San Diego, so I go to the San Diego one all the time, and this is blowing it away for me. I love it.”

SotT: Well, good. I didn’t know that you were going to be here, but I saw that you tweeted about it.

V: “I did.”

SotT: So, when I saw that, I knew I needed to come and see you.

V: “Yes, and I was also on ESPN this morning, promoting the show.”

SotT: Yeah, on the radio, right?


V: “Yeah. I’m here with the Funko Pop!s [Booth 2462] – Mike, yes. [She gestures to a man standing at the booth.] We live in San Diego, and he goes, ‘You want to go to the show with me?’ Yeah.”

SotT: Well, you can come back anytime.

V: “Thank you! Thank you.”

SotT: I just wanted to ask you some questions about your wrestling career.

V: “Ok.”

SotT: First of all, what got you into wrestling in the first place?

V: “It was a total accident. I met Chyna at a health club. I did fitness competitions. Went up to her… I knew two girlfriends that did it, and she said, ‘Oh, you have a good look. Have you ever thought about doing it?’ I said, ‘I think I can do what the guys do,’ because I was a gymnast, tomboy, and I sent my stuff in. Thirty days later, I got a call. The rest is history. Eighteen years ago.”

SotT: Nice. Ok. Throughout your career, did you have a rivalry that was your favorite to work with?

V: “I think Trish and I – Trish Stratus and I – had a long, long rivalry. It was such baby steps, because we could do months and months of our angle, which was awesome, you know? They took time with the female storyline. Now, after that, it was too quick. Things ended so quickly. [But] her and I killed it.”

SotT: If you could go back to the WWE today, who would you want to work with?

V: “There are so many amazing women there. Asuka is one of my favorites, and Charlotte Flair, because I’m good friends with her dad.”

---

Victoria will be at FanX18 all weekend (09/06/18 - 09/08/18) at Booth # 2462, near Celebrity Row and Cosplay Central. For more information about FanX, follow the convention on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment