Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

I should sue Stephen King

I had this great idea once. I have many great ideas, to be frank, but this idea that I once had was a really good one. You see, I was an elementary school student and I loved recess. Loved recess! I wanted it to be recess all the time. However, living in the unpredictable climate that I like to call Utah, where it's sometimes winter 9 months out of the year, it wasn't always practical to have a bunch of little nine-year-old kids running around outside in the freezing cold, the snow, or heavy downpours of rain. When the weather got bad enough, they made us stay inside. "In Days," they called them. I hated In Days. There were a few fun things we could do indoors, but, by and large, I'd much rather have been outside.

So I came up with this idea: why not build a giant, weather-proof dome over the school? That way we could keep the temperature steady and wouldn't be influenced by local weather. It would always be sunny and we could always have recess. (Now, getting out of the dome could be exciting, especially if there was a blizzard or something, but who would care? We had outdoor recess, didn't we??)

Needless to say, my heart sunk when I saw commercials for the new CBS drama, "Under the Dome," based on a 2009 Stephen King novel. That was MY IDEA!! Who gave him the intel? Who's the rat? Ugh! I knew I should have patented that idea before anyone capitalized on it. Crap. What the heck was I thinking? I could have been filthy rich - and simultaneously provided amazing childhood memories to schoolkids the world 'round!

Now I'm wondering whether I'd have any solid ground to stand on if I attempted to take him to court. I clearly came up with the idea waaaaay before 2009, which King published his book. I just didn't act on it. But that stuff happens all the time, right? People try to sue movie companies for stealing their ideas every once in a while. I hear about it on the news. Even if I couldn't totally put him out of business or sue him for everything he's worth, maybe he'd at least bring me on as a consultant for the show. I'm sure I could contribute in a meaningful way.

After all, I have many great ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure this is something that you should pursue. Should you win the case, which you would, but then it would open up the avenue of having the share the limelight with Pauly Shore and his epic 1996 movie "Bio-Dome." Trust me, some battles are best left not fought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reeling from the fact that you went underground and didn't invite me. Me! I have been a loyal reader right fro the beginning! I even did the two minute I'M for one issue. Then you have my own brother guest blog. Twice! I am wounded!

    ReplyDelete